[Evolution] problem sending email from certain physical location

Hello All:

I have an odd problem.
My platform is:
jserink@jserinki7 ~/qemu/vde $ uname -a
Linux jserinki7 4.4.6-gentoo #6 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 1 04:58:45 EST 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
jserinki7 vde # equery list evolution
 * Searching for evolution ...
[IP-] [  ] mail-client/evolution-3.20.4:2.0
jserinki7 vde # equery list evolution-data-server
 * Searching for evolution-data-server ...
[IP-] [  ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.20.4:0/57

When I am in the office or our home, I have no problems using evolution with my work gmail. Send and receive no issues.

When I am at my father-in-law's place, evolution cannot send email, it throws this error:
Error while Sending message.
HELO command failed: Peer failed to perform TLS handshake

Now, I get that message in the office maybe once every thousand mails or so. At my father-in-law's place I have to manually flush the outbox continually until eventually a single email will spool out. I have to do this with each mail. On average I have to manually flush over 200 times to get one successful send.

The physical links are all Singnet GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) at the following speeds:
Office: 30Mbps,
Home: 500Mbps,
Father-in-laws: 1Gbps.

This is a weird one.

In the office I am always connected over Ethernet.
At home always over 802.11b/g/a/n.
At my father-in-laws I'm connected using 802.11 ac.

I have tried fiddling with MTU values but that changed nothing.

Looking for some ideas on troubleshooting this.

Cheers,
John