Re: [Evolution] Muting Error Messages in main window

On Monday, October 24, 2016, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
it used to be "less intrusive" in the past, in a very similar way you
outlined above, hiding the message in the status bar. Not many people
knew that they can get any details about the error at all.

Then I would wish it remained like that. Actually, the bottom bar of current Evolution is, in my humble opinion, bombarding user with messages (ie when downloading lots of messages), which are never really read.
I would rather opt for a status bar with:

Left Side: A single line with real status messages, Fetching Message 561/12544 for example. or like out look "all folders up to date", "folder being updated". etc. Clicking it could bring a window with all log messages.

Right Side: a simple message on connectivity and last update time of that account. Connected or Disconnected, Updated at 10:20. Connection Error. Again, clicking it will reveal details.

If you have access to any Outlook, 2007 or later, I would recommend to have a look at that. Never displays any workflow breaking, or screen estate steling messages to the user on main widow, even if there are errors.

What I aimed for was a change in the evolution-activesync to use
GNetworkMonitor (or better ENetworkMonitor from eds) to check first
that the destination server is available and only if it is then do the
network I/O, which can eventually fail, but with other error message
than the one you see. The IMAPx and other remote accounts do that, and
you get that "online/offline" icon in the folder tree for them.

OK, that would be an improvement. In other cases, although my "Evolution-Activesync" displays errors (ie can't fetch message, can't login, username/password error, etc.), actually there's no error and clicking another message starts downloading and showing it. You can then click the "error generating message" and it magically shows as well. Not sure what's going on there. (looks like some kind of microsecond timeout limit, etc.)

Thanks,
Emre

--
Br,