Re: [Evolution] "Generating message list" won't go away -- possible database corruption

Thank you very much. Programs you wanted were on Synaptic, but for 3.18, not 3.20. Will work on this at next stop on business trip.

John

On 2016-10-07 02:58, Milan Crha wrote:
On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 16:43 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
First, debug file is attached.

        Hi,
you forgot to install debuginfo packages I asked for, thus this is
rather semi-blind guess, but from what I see then there are like 3
accounts waiting for their credentials (can be keyring related), and
the main thread is completely busy with drawing the spinners in the
folder tree (what a pita that gtk+ spinners are that resource
expensive), you might see higher CPU usage too, which is caused by
these spinners, thus gtk+ issue. I do not see any thread which would
show the ongoing 'Generating message list' operation, but it can be
that it's waiting for the account to be connected. Once upon a time,
the spinners were that resource expensive that they blocked other
operations which required idle processing starve. The evolution(-data-
server) code received some changes to workaround this issue. Maybe you
found another way to reproduce it. Nonetheless, it doesn't explain why
it worked with your changes below.

Second, I renamed the mail subfolder to mail.old.  I restarted
evolution, and everything started working correctly.

Good.

Third, how do I recover the e-mail in all the subfolders under InBox?
 These contain much essential information.

If you renamed the ~/.config/evolution/mail, then it's okay, because
that folder contains only some configuration files. The mails from On
This Computer/ are stored in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/
folder. More can be found here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en

By the way, do things break again if you rename the mail.old/ back to
mail/?

        Bye,
        Milan