Re: [Evolution] "Generating message list" won't go away -- possible database corruption

On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 16:43 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
First, debug file is attached.

        Hi,
you forgot to install debuginfo packages I asked for, thus this is
rather semi-blind guess, but from what I see then there are like 3
accounts waiting for their credentials (can be keyring related), and
the main thread is completely busy with drawing the spinners in the
folder tree (what a pita that gtk+ spinners are that resource
expensive), you might see higher CPU usage too, which is caused by
these spinners, thus gtk+ issue. I do not see any thread which would
show the ongoing 'Generating message list' operation, but it can be
that it's waiting for the account to be connected. Once upon a time,
the spinners were that resource expensive that they blocked other
operations which required idle processing starve. The evolution(-data-
server) code received some changes to workaround this issue. Maybe you
found another way to reproduce it. Nonetheless, it doesn't explain why
it worked with your changes below.

Second, I renamed the mail subfolder to mail.old.  I restarted
evolution, and everything started working correctly.

Good.

Third, how do I recover the e-mail in all the subfolders under InBox?
 These contain much essential information.

If you renamed the ~/.config/evolution/mail, then it's okay, because
that folder contains only some configuration files. The mails from On
This Computer/ are stored in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/
folder. More can be found here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html.en

By the way, do things break again if you rename the mail.old/ back to
mail/?

        Bye,
        Milan