From: Milan Crha
Sent: Wednesday, 25 May 2016 19:07
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Performance Issues

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 16:21 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
Thank you for the tips.
Yes, I am using GOA. I edit the settings using seahorse.

Hi,
you normally do not need to use seahorse, neither there is any setting
except of passwords, which you shouldn't edit there anyway.

As my account uses the Google two step verification process (they
send you an sms on your hand phone to authenticate you in addition to
your password) I had to create an app password....which I did. This
is what is used for Evolution. I can read the calendar and but not
create one. I can[t read the contacts.

You shouldn't need an application password when using GOA. GOA connects
to the Google account using OAuth2, which is required for the Contacts
since Google disabled ClientLogin. That makes me wonder whether you
truly use the GOA and do not configure some of the accounts manually in
the Evolution.

i tried turning off the Birthdays and Anniversaries everywhere I
could find but it still throws this error:
Failed to open calendar 'Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries'
Invalid object

Is it selected at the left tree when you try to create a new event? Is
it selected when you use File->New->Appointment? If it is, then choose
the correct calendar, the one from your Google account, both in the
tree and at the top of the Appointment editor. Consider also opening
Properties of the Google calendar and check there "Mark as default
calendar".

When you said that Contacts do not work, do you get any error when you
select the Google address book in the Contacts view? If so, what is it?

With respect of the performance on drawing, all these things are done
by WebKitGTK+ (version 3, as your evolution uses WebKit1, not WebKit2).
If you build it on your own, then try to enable/disable some
accelerations. Also try to compile evolution without clutter support,
which is required when you configure it with --enable-contact-maps. The
clutter enables some accelerations, which are not otherwise needed.

That's only a blind guess, if you want to figure out where exactly the
evolution is stuck during those lags, then install debugging
information (or build with them enabled) for the evolution-data-server
and the evolution itself at least, then get it into the stuck state and
run on a console this command:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
to get a backtrace of the running evolution. Please check the bt.txt
for any private information, like passwords, email address, server
addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity
only).
Bye,
Milan