Re: [Evolution] [offtopic] Color of selected text...

Actually I didn't call somebody a despot.

On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:58:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
Note, several coders who used gtk for their apps, plan to switch to Qt,
they won't take the despotism anymore.

This sentence explains what several coders feel, it not necessarily
reflects my opinion.

Taking a look at https://www.gnome.org/foundation/membership/ I guess
the most famous example is what people such as Linus Torvalds think
about the way Kay Sievers tries to manipulate the Linux community. I
guess you don't need to google, you are aware of this lack of peace.

As already pointed out "despotism" is a soft word, compared to the
words most Linux users find, resp. think about the strategy of some
(not only GTK/GNOME) developers.

In short, there's an approach of some developers and GTK/GNOME is a big
part of this approach, were coders consider it fair to expect that if
they introduce bugs or drop backwards-compatibility even within a major
release, other coders should fix the issues they cause. The word
"despotism" is for force and it fits very well, since coders are quasi
forced/feel the need to switch to Qt or to "accept" that other
developers don't comply with fundamental rules.

However, you are member of
https://www.gnome.org/foundation/membership/ , so we could finish the
discussion about the GTK/GNOME issue and continue using the mailing
list to Evolution related things.

Regarding the topic: That the soname is broken, could be a bug by
accident. That most, if not all GTK themes get broken broken _within_ a
major release of GTK, by an official stable upstream release of GTK,
never ever is an accident.

Actually we can't blindly believe percentages that claim that most
users dislike GNOME, but we can blindly believe that there are good
reasons that Mate and Cinnamon quickly became well maintained desktop
environments of major distros, while they still are based on GTK, but
then again, that LXDE tries to switch to Qt is a popular example for
the GTK issue.

I'll read any replies, but from my side this is the last mail regarding
this off-topic thread. Note, I didn't start the off-topic, my original
reply was about helping the OP, so I mentioned the gtk3 3.20 issue.
While my guess with the theme issue didn't exactly catch the culprit, I
anyway was right with my guess, that it's a gtk3 3.20 related issue.

Regards,
Ralf