Re: [Evolution] Evolution, Google and SSL/TLS problem

On Sun, 2016-06-26 at 10:58 +0200, Jaroslaw Rafa wrote:
1) how to make Evolution use TLS instead of SSL when options "use
SSL" are checked both on IMAP account and on calendar properties? I
know there is option "use TLS" on IMAP, but it uses in-band TLS (ie.
starts an unencrypted IMAP connection and then switches to TLS with
STARTTLS command) and Google does not support this - and for CalDAV
there is no similar possibility as it's HTTPS.

        Hi,
that's not that easy, as you'd need to find related patches in the
evolution-data-server and libsoup, which can go down to NSS/NSPR
library and eventually glib-networking or gnutls, whatever your ancient
libsoup might be using. It would be also "a huge waste of time" to try
to find the right patches in the respective libraries.

2) how to install on my current OS some version of Evolution that
supports TLS with such connections? I can install additionally a few
libraries etc. if needed, but I don't want things like reinstalling
the entire GNOME or the entire OS.

It's possible to compile necessary bits in a different prefix, but the
gap between 2.28 and 3.20.x is too huge, with too many changes (like
the switch from gtk2 to gtk3), that it would just garble your system.
And with the evolution-data-server being a core part of the GNOME
environment you'd end up in a dependency hell quite easily, both in
compile time and also in the run time.

The system update looks like a good idea, though the latest versions
work "slightly" differently than that your (GNOME itself significantly
differently for sure).
        Bye,
        Milan