[Evolution] Evolution, Google and SSL/TLS problem

Hello all,
I was using Evolution for several years with success to access Gmail
accounts (via IMAP) and Google calendars (via CalDAV). Since yesterday (I
guess the date, I was not using the Google account for a few days, but it's
no longer) it's no more possible. Evolution just doesn't connect to Google
- there is no password prompt displayed for Gmail account, and all Google
calendars are disabled (unchecked) in Evolution and when I attempt to check
one of them, a message "server error" appears.

Only when trying to set up a new Google calendar I got a more meaningful
error message, telling about "TLS handshake error". So I guess that Google
probably turned off support for SSL version that Evolution uses.

I am using Evolution 2.28.3. I know it's quite old, but as Evolution is
bundled with the entire GNOME, I guess I cannot just install a new version
of Evolution, because of all the dependencies etc. - and I would like to
avoid reinstalling the whole OS as long as it is possible.  I'm happy with
my current OS (Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS) and installing a new system and setting
up everything again the way I want it to be is just a huge waste of time...

So I have two questions:
1) how to make Evolution use TLS instead of SSL when options "use SSL"
are checked both on IMAP account and on calendar properties? I know there is
option "use TLS" on IMAP, but it uses in-band TLS (ie. starts an unencrypted
IMAP connection and then switches to TLS with STARTTLS command) and Google
does not support this - and for CalDAV there is no similar possibility as
it's HTTPS.

or

2) how to install on my current OS some version of Evolution that supports
TLS with such connections? I can install additionally a few libraries etc.
if needed, but I don't want things like reinstalling the entire GNOME or the
entire OS.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!
--
Regards,