Re: [Evolution] Replacing POP by IMAP - Was: [solved] Is there a workaround for deleting messages after 1 day from the server?

On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 22:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 20:32:55 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Because IMAP MUAs only show a list of messages until you decide to
open one, at which point it's downloaded. POP has to download
everything even if you don't read it.
Ok, but that already is the problem, I don't want to have a list with
hundred mails, I just want to see a few mails on my mobile device,
downloaded or not downloaded, since the mobile MUA doesn't provide
the features a Linux MUA provides. Does the mobile device's MUA
provide offline IMAP?

Depends on the mobile MUA.  On Android the default mail client is
lousy.  But the K-9 MUA is available for free and provides offline IMAP
and the choice to only retrieve the most recent X number of messages
[although I don't see much point in not having everything available on
the phone - they are sorted after all]

As to archiving old mails, you can do that if you want just by (in
Evolution) configuring "copy folder for offline operation", as one
of several alternatives.
And if I do it again and again, do I get each time a new copy or will
it sync, so that I might lose some mails?

No, of course not.

What is the relation between the copied folder/folders and the
folders on the server?

1:1

Just this single work flow already doesn't provide what I need, since
I don't want to see a list with many mails, I only want a list with a
few mails.

May I ask why?  Messages are (a) sorted and (b) highlighted if they are
read or not.

And assumed the rest for this single work flow should be
solvable, it requires reading manuals, especially for the proprietary
software for the Apple mobile device. I want to make real-time music
with the tablet PC and with POP accounts I'm able to just get the few
mails I want, without much effort. IMAP makes it complicated and
seems not to provide what I want.

But from all these questions it is apparent that POP is what is
actually making in complicated.  With IMAP it is simple: here is your
mailbox.

I can sort much more than 10,000 mails easily with a Linux MUA, but I
already can't handle a list (downloaded or not) with around 100 mails
with the Apple MUA, due to missing functionality. Assumed there
should be Evolution available for a Linux tablet PC, then there would
be the other issue, that the Linux tablet PC can't be used for seriou
s music work.

To me it sounds like what you really need is server-side filtering.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010