Re: [Evolution] What is the format for rules in filters.xml? How can I alter or creat rules?

Thank your for your response.

I am not confident I could provide a backtrace.  I have not
done one of those in over a decade, and I remember things
changing then in what one had to do in various circumstances.

/usr/share/evolution/filtertypes.xml may be useful, but it will
take a bit of study to see if I can figure out how to use it
from existing examples.

The idea of creating the filters.xml on a different machine or
perhaps under a different version of Mageia would seem to have
merit.  It will be a few days before I will take on such a
task, as it will involve gathering the data for an extensive
set of rules, creating them on the other machine or OS, testing
there, and then copying to my main machine.

The stop processing that occurs does so without any
<part name="stop">  in the filters.xml file.

In creating a new filters.xml file, I first moved the original
to a safe location, and copied it back to its proper location.
This resulted in a first line of the file with a magic number
that was not acceptable, so I had to grab the first line of the
original, create a file with that alone in it, then add the
copied file to that, and delete the overlap to get a working
file.  (head -n 1 filters.sml > newfile.xml ; vi newfile.xml
and then r copied-file, edit as needed, then write out that).

I also created folder names for the new folders needed, by
finding the existing folder names and creating new ones with
strings replaced as needed for the new folder names.

I made no attempt with absolutely no filter rules.  That too
might be worth a try.

Once again, thank you for you time.  If the intent is to keep
evolution's formats private, I will probably have to accept the
resulting problems or find a new e-mail application.

Cheers!

jim b.

--

UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely