Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 12:27 +0100, Stig Roar Wangberg wrote:
fr. den 05. 02. 2016 klokka 09.30 (+0000) skreiv Pete Biggs:
On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 07:00 +0100, Stig Roar Wangberg wrote:
 Also, after I sent it, I could open it and read it using my own
password. When I'm encrypting letters in my terminal with the
receivers
public key, I can never open it and read it using my own
password, which is logical, I guess.
Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Account -> Edit -> Security ->
  "Always encrypt to myself when sending encrypted messages"
Perhaps the question is silly, but it is enough to import someone's
public key to my keyring, or do I need to manually import them to
Evolution also? It seemed for a minute that my email were encrypted
with my public key, and not the receivers public key.

Yes, all you need is their public key.   There is an app in GNOME for
that: Seahorse "Passwords and Keys".  If the public key appears in
Seahorse it should work in Evolution for message encryption.

There is also a tab in Edit->Preferences->Certificates->Contact
-Certificates which lists the available certificates.

If you want to read encrypted messages you send, then you need to

use your public key along with the recipient's when encrypting it.
- And how do I do that? Do I add more than my own keys alongside my
own key in Evolution?
how come I can read them now? Is it encrypted with my ID and not
theirs?

You want to encrypt with BOTH.  Your own AND the recipients; then you
retain the capability to read the message.

That is what the forementioned "always encrypt to myself when sending
encrypted messages" option does.

Also, I was not asked for my password before
sending the encrypted email, which is a bit strange, right?
No.  You keyring had already been unlocked (as it's part of the
login process for Gnome) so your password wasn't requested again.

Yep,  keyring unlock is performed automatically at login.  I believe if
it sits long enough the unlock operation will require re
-authentication.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>