Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

fr. den 05. 02. 2016 klokka 09.30 (+0000) skreiv Pete Biggs:
On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 07:00 +0100, Stig Roar Wangberg wrote:
It seems like Evolution is up an running (even though it seldom sends my
emails). Another problem is signing and encrypting. Concerning the
latter, I don't know if my emails are encrypted with the receivers
public key, or mine. I have only imported my own public key, so how does
Evolution know how to encrypt using the receivers public key? Or it
doesn't?

Have you read the Help on OpenPGP encryption in Evolution?

Yes sir, I've read about everything there is about the subject.

 Help -> Contents -> Mail encryption and Certificates

Yes, I've done that. I added my ID. I'm used to using the terminal;
importing, receiving, and even writing in Vim encrypting my letters
there.

 Also, after I sent it, I could open it and read it using my own
password. When I'm encrypting letters in my terminal with the receivers
public key, I can never open it and read it using my own password, which
is logical, I guess.

Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Account -> Edit -> Security ->
  "Always encrypt to myself when sending encrypted messages"

Perhaps the question is silly, but it is enough to import someone's
public key to my keyring, or do I need to manually import them to
Evolution also? It seemed for a minute that my email were encrypted with
my public key, and not the receivers public key.

If you want to read encrypted messages you send, then you need to use
your public key along with the recipient's when encrypting it.

- And how do I do that? Do I add more than my own keys alongside my own
key in Evolution?

When I encrypt a letter in the terminal, with someone's key, I can't
read it, of course, because I don't have their privat key, naturally. So
how come I can read them now? Is it encrypted with my ID and not
theirs?

 Also, I was not asked for my password before
sending the encrypted email, which is a bit strange, right?

No.  You keyring had already been unlocked (as it's part of the login
process for Gnome) so your password wasn't requested again.

So what is
going on?

I ask myself that everyday.
Hehe!