Re: [Evolution] Endless "Empty cache file" errors

On Thu, 2016-08-11 at 08:20 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2016-08-11 at 12:11 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

It seems to work here.
My machine that is badly affected by it already has the concurrent
connections set to 1. Another machine that rarely has the problem has
it set to 5.
If people experience this issue differently based on different numbers
of connections - it is possible it IMAP server itself may be a
variable.  Perhaps slow IMAP servers [like gmail] impact this behavior.

Setting concurrency to 1 solved the problem here, although apparently
this isn't helpful for Pete.

After doing some online research on the problem, what I've found from
people (mostly developers) who know the Evolution code point to this
being an Evo upstream bug, not a server problem, although a server
being too fast or two slow might cause it to show up. So it looks as if
it's in the Gnome developers' ballpark. Specifically, I think the bug
is in evolution-data-server.

My company is running the Courier IMAP server and as far as I know,
none of FMP's customers have this problem with _any_ MUA when accessing
FMP's mail servers. I'm running an earlier version of Evolution
(3.10.4) on another system at my home office and it's likewise
unaffected.

The problem Evo installation here is v3.18.5.2, although apparently
earlier versions of Evolution between 3.10 and 3.18 are also affected.
It seems that the concurrency setting was introduced in recent versions
of Evolution since the Receiving Options in 3.10.4 don't offer the
setting.

I run two accounts in all my MUAs, one to my company's mail server and
one to my gmail account, both IMAP+. Curiously, I have concurrency set
to 3 on my gmail account and have no problem with it, so perhaps an
IMAP server being too fast will excite the bug.

FWIW, I'm not running any mail filters on this Evo installation. The
bug showed up when I had Evolution already running and new mail showed
up. The new mail was blocked by the bug when I tried to read it, but
not old mail. I'm not synchronizing remote mail locally. Closing
Evolution and restarting it made the new mail accessible. So did Ctrl-
E, expunge, although there's usually nothing to expunge in the folder.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."