Re: [Evolution] Bouncing emails

On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 14:27 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2016-08-04 at 23:35 +0200, Rudolf Künzli wrote:

Sir,
You have all rights to call me an idiot even I am not such one.
When I was much younger, in the 1985 I had an email function (BSD
Unix) with that one I could bounce a message.
I did get an disliked message and I could just hit "bounce" instead
of "reply"...
I simply did ask if such a feature exists.
Thank you very much to call this behaviour to be childish (my age
is 71).
And just to complete the information on my person,  I am a  founder
of Autodesk, Inc, and a developer of AutoCAD from 1982 to 1990...
I hope you have a nice day...

The term "bounce" is used for two completely different things. It's
also used for "redirect", where you resend a message to a new
recipient. Some people have mentioned that, but it isn't what you
want
here.

You mean the original meaning of the word 'bounce', at the SMTP level
—
where an error message is delivered to the original sender, informing
them that the message was not delivered.

In the 1980s it was acceptable to generate those messages "in the
wild". Leaving aside the manual "don't like it" part of your request,
that means for example that it was acceptable for mail servers to
accept an incoming mail over the network, and only *then* decide that
actually they didn't know the specific user to whom it was addressed,
and then send a bounce message back.

The problem is, lots of unwanted emails are sent these days with
*fake*
sender addresses. So by sending a bounce to the (alleged) sender, you
make yourself part of the problem.

So all kinds of filtering these days — not just checking that you
actually recognise the intended recipient, but spam and virus
checking
— is best done at the SMTP server before you ever accept
responsibility
for the message. It is bad practice to accept messages and then send
bounces.

Your best option might be to configure something like CRM114 in your
mail server, trained by the messages you like and dislike, and then
it
can reject them at SMTP time according to modern practice.

As I mentioned already, I am "bouncing" messages to known senders only.
I am using "redirect" which does the job. I didn't have knowledge of
this feature before.
Personally I guess, this thread is closed...