Re: [Evolution] Backing up Evolution Data

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 13:28 -0400, John Lauterbach wrote:
Not all of us are on servers.

Not clear whether you're referring to the mail system or the backup
system, If it's the former, then of course we are all on servers but
not all of them are IMAP, however my point was specifically in relation
to a question about backing up IMAP accounts. If you mean that not
everyone has a backup server, that's true but irrelevant. If I was
backing up to a local disk my backup technique would be exactly the
same.

  Also, my laptop (where mail evo with my business
-related e-mail) is on 24/7 except when going through airport
security, etc.
 The same for my two desktops.  I cannot afford to loose what I have
on the evo
on my laptop. Yes, one of my business e-mail accounts is IMPAX, but
the ISP's
server does not store sent e-mail.  Incremental backups are a thing
of the past
with large capacity 2.5 inch SSDs.

The idea that "disks are so large now that we can stop worrying about
running out of space" is one I've been hearing for the past 40 years.
Oddly enough, the size of email messages seems to grow as fast as the
space available for their storage, but even if that weren't true, you
mean you copy 6GB of (mostly redundant) data over your network
connection every time you do a backup? I don't see the point.

  The partition where I keep by evo backups
(about 6 GB each still has more than 60 GB free space).  They are
also backed up on SpiderOak.  I do not see the objection to doing
what works.

So you can store up to 10 backups. Using an incremental scheme would
get you a lot more, and you'd use much less bandwidth in doing it. You
must do whatever works for you, but the discussion is about what if
anything Evo itself should support. My view is that it would be a waste
of scarce developer time to code some application-specific backup
scheme when it's not needed.

poc