Re: [Evolution] [Offtopic] Mailing list filters

On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 08:58 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 05:59 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
David, by your point of view, with quasi everybody add to the Cc header,
why do we have mailing lists at all?

For one reason, mailing lists exist because they are public and have
archives, and because people who are interested in the mailing list
topic can join the list themselves instead of requiring the message
author to know these people by name on a planet with a few billion
inhabitants. There might be more reasons. Or people.

Andre,

that is my point of view too. The resume of this point of view is that
usually people subscribe to a list, so a reply to a list is all that is
needed. People who are not subscribed to a list can use the archive, IOW
there's either no need to Cc to anybody.

JFTR sometimes the archives are only available to the list members, e.g.
it's not an open mailing list, to post to this list you need to
subscribe first.

Again, sometimes it makes sense to reply to the list and Cc, but that is
only useful for a few exceptions. What's the point to use the Cc
approach as standard procedure, when replying to a mailing list?

I dislike to receive mails that don't include the mailing list headers.
There's no reason for Tom and David to Cc me, resp. to Cc to the list
and send to me.

IMO I'm polite by trying to explain, why they should reply to the list
only. Why do they use the Cc approach? For this list, when replying to
subscribers, there's no need to Cc.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: David, Tom, please if you send a mail to the mailing list, then for
the same mail don't reply to me privately in addition.

PPS: Enough said. I can't contribute anything else to this thread.