Re: [Evolution] Mailing list filters

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:32:23 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
There, is that a reasonable summary?

No, because there are no clear rules and several solutions to handle
things, but without rules different MUAs, different mailing list
settings and different workflows from users, it's a mess. It's
impossible to write a reasonable summary.

However, cross-posting is impossible to handle, that's why it's frowned
upon.

Cc'ing on open mailing lists and developer's lists sometimes makes
sense.

1. Only Cc to those who needs to be Cc'ed, they likely have
filter settings to handle this.

2. Don't Cc to anybody else. Just because Evolution doesn't
invoke mailing list replies by "Reply", so that a smart automatically
handling using the Reply-To header can't be used to distinguish those
who want to be Cc'ed, from those who don't want it, doesn't mean that
it can't be done better.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Evolutions style to invoke mailing list
replies by "Group Reply" over Claws style, but de facto the way Claws
does it could be an advantage. It's too funny that some open mailing
lists overwrite the Reply-To header, so that it isn't useful anymore for
that purpose.