Re: [Evolution] Ubuntu 15.10 Gnome and Evolution

On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 09:42 -0400, John Lauterbach wrote:
Over the weekend, I was able to get the i386 version of Ubuntu 15.10
Gnome to install on a hp-compaq dx2200 minitower (2007 vintage).  This
distribution came with Evolution 3.12.11 already installed.  Gnome
version is 3.16.2.  I realize that 15.10 is still under development so
that is why I tried this on a surplus PC, and not on one of my
production machines.  However, I am wondering why a more recent
version of Evolution is not included.  I was not able to find a
compiled build of 3.16.3 for i386 systems.

This question comes up all the time on the list.  See for example:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2015-July/msg00091.html

The first short answer is, you're asking in the wrong place.  This is
the Evolution development list, and they have no control over or input
into which version of Evolution Ubuntu decides to ship.  Just as you
wouldn't ask on the Linux kernel mailing list why Ubuntu ships a
specific version of the Linux kernel.

Which leads to the second answer, which is that everyone who wants a
newer version of Evolution on Ubuntu needs to be creating bug reports in
Ubuntu Lauchpad, not asking here.  The Ubuntu developers are there, not
here, and they're the only ones who can get newer versions of Evolution
added to Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution