Re: [Evolution] [ews] 'Listen for server change notifications' stops working

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 16:03 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 15:19 +0200, Robert Munteanu wrote:

I can try EWS_DEBUG=1 for instance, but that will dump
everything and I'd like to avoid that ; it's much easier to spot
problems when reading debug output just for my issue.

        Hi,
it's EWS_DEBUG=2, which gives you everything EWS related in detail.

Does that do anything more than log all requests and responses? I've
routed Evolution throw a HTTPS proxy and I capture the traffic
there. Also, what request/response types should I look for when
debugging the 'listen for change notifications' issue?

        Hi,
it doesn't, though it let's any user to look on the log without
setting proxy or anything like that, in a "well known" format, instead
of packet capture or anything similar. Nonetheless, whatever works the
best for you.

The notifications are using streaming, that means, evolution-ews runs a
thread called e_ews_notification_get_events_thread() and that is just
waiting for response from the server, with occasional "reconnect",
because the connection can timeout during the time. If this thread is
not in your evolution, then you won't get any notifications. The
reason can be also that the server doesn't report new-enough version,
but I guess that's not your case. The notification listening is
started with GetStreamingEvents "call" to the server.

Most of the HTTP calls succeed ( 200 OK ) but from time to time I
see groups of 3 request failing with status 401. The calls which
work fine have Basic Auth with username and password set. The calls
which fail either have NTLM authentication set or basic auth without
a password.

I'd say it's normal, just the way libsoup works. It tries to get some
page, the server returns "no, authentication needed" (libsoup doesn't
have many options to realize that without trying first). Then it asks
evolution-ews for a password and if given, then it is tried. How it
works with respect of changing authentication methods (Basic versus
NTLM) I'm not that sure. It may also depend on your libsoup version,
there had been dropped an automatic downgrade from NTLM to Basic in
some not so distant past version. But it's possible that it is not
related to what you see at all.
        Bye,
        Milan