Re: [Evolution] Issues with labels and flags

From: Ángel González <angel 16bits net>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 23:59:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Issues with labels and flags

Mark Foley wrote:
Milan's point about Thunderbird answers another question (why label
names are
the same in Tbird and Evolution).  But here's the thing: When I 'tag'
something
to e.g.  "Personal" in Thunderbird (green), it shows up as green in
Evolution.
But when I 'label' something as "Personal" (green) in Evolution, it
does not
show in Thunderbird.  'Tagging' in Thunderbird adds tag letters to
the IMAP
filename (e.g.  the trailing "b" in cur/1449002747.6406_0.mail:2,Sb).
'Labeling' in Evolution does not.

Is it an IMAP account or a local Maildir? Or are you looking at the
filename at the server filesystem?

It is an IMAP account hosted on a remote (office) server in Maildir format
served by Dovecot.

It looks like what Dovecot does for locally storing the label (in
addition of using the index):
 http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir#IMAP_keywords

Yes, I am *very* familiar with that page! I keep reading and re-reading it
hoping, like some Hogwarts character, that some magic insight will pop out.

In that case, evolution seems to be doing something "wrong" (or perhaps
not recognising that the server can store them), as Dovecot isn't
picking them (while with thunderbird it does).

Well, Pete Biggs said (in a part of the message you didn't include): "The labels
only apply to the messages on a specific machine - i.e.  they are held in a
local database; the flag, which is an IMAP property, will be present on whatever
client is using the IMAP store."

So, he is making a distinction between lables and flags. But I see no mechanism
for setting one versus the other in Evolution. Also, it could be I need a newer
version of Evolution, which I'm going to try getting this evening.

Can you provide the IMAP commands sent by evolution?

In order to get evolution log, you can use:

 CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution &>log.txt

Ha! If you can tell me how to do that, I'd be glad to try. Is that CAMEL... line
you have the howto? Do I just type that at a command line, as is? Do I have to
be root? Do I do it before starting Evolution? Need a bit more info on this.
Meanwhile, I'll try upgrading Ubuntu/Evolution. Hope that doesn't hose my whole
system.

--Mark