[Evolution] Issues with labels and flags

On Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 09:49:12 +0000 Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 01:24 -0500, Mark Foley wrote:
3. I've "labeled" one of the messages as 'Important' (right-click message >
Label > Important). This is indicated on the 'Label' drop-down as a red square.
However, the message does not show this anywhere. I can select 'Show >
Important' and it does filter by that, but I'd like to see the red square
somewhere in my message list view. Doable?

Messages marked as "Important" will be coloured red in the message list
and have a flag/indicator in the third column (the actual icon used
depends on your window manager and theme).  There is no indication in
the message view of the flag status.

But you should also be aware that there is a difference between the
"Important" flag (Right click > Mark as Important) and the Evolution
internal label "Important" (Right click > Label > Important).  The
labels only apply to the messages on a specific machine - i.e. they are
held in a local database; the flag, which is an IMAP property, will be
present on whatever client is using the IMAP store.

Yes, I know it's confusing, it's historical.  The rationale is that the
labels can be modified to say anything - it just so happens one of them
says "Important" by default; the Flag is a marker that by convention
means "this message is important" on mail clients.

Yes, confusing. Here is another comment from Milan Crha in response to
your comment: