From: Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution and Gmail not playing
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:37:18 +0100

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 19:56 +1000, Alex McConnell wrote:
Ever since installing Ubuntu 15.04 I have had a combination of problems with Evolution
Means nothing - please use Evolution version numbers, not distro version numbers.
Evolution seems to stall part through a pop download from Gmail. I have a number of pop accounts set up in Evolution, two of which are Gmail but it alsways seems to be the more heavily trafficed one which causes the problem.
The solution is in the archives Edit -> Preferences -> [select account] -> Edit -> Receiving options and reduce the number of concurrent connections to '1'. Gmail aggressively throttles connections that it thinks are hitting it too hard - it interprets more than one concurrent connection as being too much.
After it stalls, I have to use xkill to kill Evolution.
Use 'evolution --force-shutdown' from a command line.
I have updated Evolution to 3.16.0 from the ppa to see if that helps but the behaviour seems to be unchanged.