[Evolution] Evolution and Gmail not playing

Ever since installing Ubuntu 15.04 I have had a combination of problems with Evolution

Evolution seems to stall part through a pop download from Gmail.  I have a number of pop accounts set up in Evolution, two of which are Gmail but it alsways seems to be the more heavily trafficed one which causes the problem.

After it stalls, I have to use xkill to kill Evolution.  If I have left the client running, the other pop downloads seem to start but then stall as well.  A few things in Evolution still work, such a viewing emails but it is essentially frozen apart from that.

Associated with this, I get lots of completely empty emails in the Inbox.  They show as No Subject and there is almost nothing in the email.

I can sometimes detect that some emails have not downloaded at al;l by checking "All Mail" in Gmail - it seems to mainly be longer and more complex one (in html terms)

I will often have to kill and restart the client several times until I can get the download to finish without stalling.  It will typically say it is downloads (say) 5 out of 11 emails before it stalls and after the restart it will try to download 10 emails.  However most of the downloads will be the aforesaid empty emails.

I have updated Evolution to 3.16.0 from the ppa to see if that helps but the behaviour seems to be unchanged.

It seems to me that some process is going into a loop or perhaps there is some library that reaches its maximum number of threads and dies.

Grateful for any suggestions.  At the moment just nursing it along to see if something in Ubuntu 15.10 fixes it.