Re: [Evolution] per-message From: header

On Mon, 2015-04-06 at 13:17 -0700, Craig wrote:
On Mon, 2015-04-06 at 08:51 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Quoting Carl Schaefer <schaefer trilug org>:
I like to give a different email address to everybody who asks so that
it's easy to blacklist the ones that attract spam.  For example:
hertz mydomain com
jetblue mydomain com
hyatt mydomain com
etc.
Is there a way to get Evolution to send mail with a custom From: header

No clue, probably not.

This is a bad idea, and it will not accomplish your goal.

It may be a bad idea, for reasons I'm not aware of (unless you enlighten
me), but it does indeed accomplish *my* goal, which seems to be the same
as Carl's.

All this does is defeat the purpose of e-mail, which is communication.
  You are just making yourself more difficult to communicate with, and
accomplishing nearly nothing.

Well, if the "supplier address" (as I call it) starts receiving spam and
I cancel the address, it does indeed make it difficult for the spammer
to communicate with me, which is exactly the accomplishment I'm looking
for. I've been using this approach for years, and find it far preferable
to lying awake at night wondering whether or not a spam filter has
caught a legitimate message I'll never see. I use no spam filtering at
all, except for configuring my MTA to use reputable IP blacklists with
the addition of a few specific domains.

Surely it's up to the receiver to decide whether or not he/she wants to
be difficult to communicate with. I don't understand your hostility to
the idea.

I don't either.  It sounded like flame bait, which I was about to take,
but as it seems generally out of character for him I'm inclined to chalk
it up to something going on that I don't know about and ignore it.

To add some technical content here, I've been able to get the effect I
want with 3.12 by pointing Evolution to a custom sendmail binary that is
actually a script that applies some header rewrite rules before
invoking /usr/bin/sendmail.  It works, except that what gets saved in
the Sent folder doesn't show the rewritten headers.

I'd hoped an outgoing message filter could be used for this, but it
seems "Pipe to Program" is output-only, i.e. Evolution doesn't use the
output of the program (which makes the "output filter" not actually a
filter, IMO).

Looking forward to 3.16
Carl