Re: [Evolution] Fedora 20 - Evolution - Gnome gui freezes

On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 13:07 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

I also had the perception that gpaste increased the frequency of
this problem so I activated gpaste, and it did not take long for the
it to happen again.  This time I was in the middle of an input
statement in evolution in the body of a text.  I have attached
bt.txt as you requested.

        Hi,
this one is better, because it shows something happening in the main
thread (Thead 1, at the very bottom), but otherwise is pretty much the
same as the first backtrace. There is nothing really happening in
evolution, I suppose from the backtrace that you have configured two
IMAP accounts with "Listen for server change notification" option on.
The evolution is just waiting for the notifications on both accounts.
The second backtrace shows that a new mail arrived and it was
notifying you about its arrival. This is done through libnotify, which
uses D-Bus to talk to the daemon. I guess there happened some
consequence on the D-Bus which made your desktop environment (maybe
gnome-shell?) in a freeze, even the evolution as such is not frozen.
I'm not a gnome-shell developer, thus I wouldn't be much of help here,
but I would try to get a backtrace of the running gnome-shell process,
to see what it does. Make sure you'll have installed debuginfo package
for it, of the same version as the binary package. You can use Pete's
command, I would change there only one thing:

   $ yum --enablerepo=fedora-debuginfo \
         --enablerepo=updates-debuginfo install gnome-shell-debuginfo

(3.10.4-9.fc20 is the current gnome-shell version in Fedora 20).

Also run evolution from a terminal and check what it claims about:
  $ evolution &>log.txt

That may give a hint as well. As you mentioned that the FireFox is
also affected, I really do not think this is an application issue (the
only common part might be NSS /NSPR and SQLite being used by both
Evolution and FireFox), thus it seems to me as a good idea to aim the
investigation towards gnome-shell. It can be even lower in the stack,
like some D-Bus daemon, or libnotify or... who knows. I do not want to
guess too much.

        Bye,
        Milan

P.S.: I hope you'll not mind, by I second Patrick's request in this
thread. Your first reply to my first email in this thread confused me,
making it look like you resent my own mail. If you use evolution, I
hope you do :), then use Ctrl+L (to Reply to a list), alternatively
Ctrl+Shift+R (Reply to all), which should compose a reply with a style
as set in Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->Reply Style. I
think the default is Quoted, which makes it clear which text is new
and which old.