Re: [Evolution] a few upgrade questions please . . . .

The Evo team are not prepared to take responsibility for breakages
that occur due to their product or their advice especially if it's not
in the very few (and generally less popular) distros they bother to
try Evo on.

Err, no.

The issue of unlocking of keys has been asked concerning many distros.
The answer is ALWAYS the same: Evolution does not handle the storing of
passwords; if you are being asked for a password to unlock the keyring
then it is because of the configuration of either your account or your
distro.  Some distros explicitly set up the default configuration to
require a password to unlock the keys the first time they are accessed
in a session - this is a security "feature" in that someone getting hold
of your login password does not automatically get access to all your
stored passwords.  Ubuntu appears to be one of those distros.

I'll say this again so it's clear:  The choice of whether your keyring
needs a password to open it is NOTHING TO DO WITH EVOLUTION.

If you use some other application that needs the keyring first, then at
that point you will be asked for the password - if you then start up
Evo, you won't be asked because the keyring is already unlocked.  It so
happens that most people start up their email client as the first thing
they do and so Evo gets all the flack for it.

To be honest it is trivially easy to find out how to change the
configuration - I think on Ubuntu the password dialogue box for the
keyring contains a tick box that says "Automatically unlock this keyring
when I log in."  Tick it and you should never be asked again.  BUT.
This depends on the desktop and distro you use, so there is no generic
answer we can give other than Google it or ask on your disro's forums.
Nevertheless, here is the top link from a Google search for "ubuntu
keyring password":

http://askubuntu.com/questions/184266/what-is-unlock-keyring-and-how-do-i-get-rid-of-it

There are many, many other hits for this and other related searches.
Changing "ubuntu" to other distro names comes up with just as many hits
- for example this one for Fedora (one of the "less popular" distros you
talk about, and the one I use):

And that one is about Chrome, so it's not specific to Evo.

There are lots of criticisms that can be levelled at Evolution, but this
particular thing is NOT one of them.

P.