Re: [Evolution] a few upgrade questions please . . . .

On Mon, 2014-08-25 at 09:09 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
I am running 14.04LTS 64bit. Evolution 3.10.4 currently installed from
Software Centre.
1. Is version 3.12.2 substantially better than 3.10.4?  Any
   reason why not to upgrade?

There is no reason NOT to upgrade.

But the big stability leaps, for me, happened in 3.8 & 3.10.  After that
improvements have been gravy.

 2. I have downloaded: evolution_3.12.2-1+b1_amd64.deb but not
    installed it yet.
 a)Is this the correct file?
 b) What is the "+B1"?

No clue, this is up to your distribution.  If it is the wrong package
your package manager should tell you.  Don't force things, use the
tools.  If you force things then ***YOU*** broke it, it does not mean
the system/software is broken - ***YOU*** broke it, ***YOU***, period.

3.  How to get rid of the pesky(!) "unlock keys" password demand
    when Evo first fires up?

This is NOT an Evolution issue.  Your installation is broken [probably
by something you did], or your software stack is broken [your
distribution broke it].  It works for me, I do not see this issue.  It
has almost always worked me - except when I broke it my screwing around.

It works, reliably, on every openSUSE install I have.

Evolution uses the keyring subsystem to deal with passwords.  Break that
and it propagates up into Evolution.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383