Re: [Evolution] infinitive wait for network events

On 05/06/2013 05:51 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
For many releases, including the latest in Fedora 18
Please give version numbers for Evolution, not the distro you use - not
everyone uses the same distro so they don't know which versions you are
talking about.
F18 is 3.6.4
I've noticing that evolution does not handle network delays properly.
It will spin in wait state indefinitely. Please see included
screenshot. I wonder how to diagnose and prevent infinitive waits. The
only way to end the process is to to brute force kill signals.
This has been talked about before on this list.  Yes, it is a known
issue, but I seem to remember that the solution requires some other work
to be done first.  My experience of the issue is that many of the
problems stem from looking up contacts on a remote service (so that Evo
can decide if it's going to try and display images from the network) -
it's not the LDAP code itself that's the problem, more the type of
traffic that LDAP generates.  So try enabling "Never load images from
the Internet" (you can always explicitly load them with Ctrl-I) to see
if it makes it any better.

If it is a well known problem I am surprised it is not yet fixed. Not sure about LDAP but load images is not enabled. Regardless, if any network operation takes more then reasonable time it should either abort itself or allow user to abort it.

I this case clicking on the red circle next to stuck network operation does not make any effect on the stuck network operation! Several releases ago clicking on the red circle always terminated stuck network operation.

Main reason I started this thread is to seek diagnostic help as I clearly stated in my question. I apologize if inline attachment caused problems.

I've been using evolution since early betas and the only reason I still on it because sometimes I must use "redirect" feature that is missing in thunderbird. But amount of daily problems caused by unhanded timeouts and other glitches makes me question myself if fighting constant issues really worth the trouble....

Eugene.