Re: [Evolution] Evolution doesn't quit cleanly & other issues

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 13:49 -0500, RSV-RR wrote:
hello group -

running Evolution 3.6.2, and for some reason I am having the following
issues:

-     Application doesn't quit cleanly.  It hangs and has to be
  killed.

Are you sure it hangs? Evo can sometimes take a long time to quit
because it's updating state with a slow server. Unfortunately the wait
can be indefinitely long and with no apparent timeout, something I've
complained about in the past, however it does happen less often than it
used to.

-     Messages that I try to delete get a line through them but
  are not moved out of the inbox message list. This is probably a
  configuration issue.  Shouldn't messages be put into the Delete
  folder?

There is no Delete folder as such (i.e. Trash in Evo is a virtual
folder). Messages stay in the folder they are in and are marked as
deleted. This is what you are seeing. If you don't want to see them,
turn off View->Show Deleted Messages. This model comes from IMAP but is
also used for some other types of account (I forget which ones).

-     Question...how do I update passwords to message
  servers.  Should I be prompted or can I store that in the
  configuration.

Evo stores passwords in the Gnome keyring. AFAIK there is no way to
change a server password from Evo. You do it directly on the server and
when Evo notices the pw has changed it will prompt you for the new one
and store it in the keyring, which is itself protected by its own pw.

If you're using the Gnome desktop it's useful to make the keyring pw the
same as your user login pw, which makes the whole thing quite
transparent since Evo will pick it up automatically. Use seahorse to
manage the keyring.

On KDE it's less transparent but still works. Depending on your setup,
you usually have to enter the keyring password once per login session,
even if it's the same as the login pw.

poc