Re: [Evolution] Connection Confusion

El lun, 04-02-2013 a las 15:25 +0000, David Woodhouse escribió:
On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 06:16 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> That doesn't sound that weird.  *Sending* and *Receiving* are two
> entirely different operations.  Receiving is POP/IMAP [and rarely
> blocked by firewalls], sending is SMTP [and almost always blocked by
> firewalls].

Sending should be MSA, which is like SMTP except on port 587. And is
rarely blocked by firewalls. That's kind of why the MSA port was
introduced. In 1998.

If you're actually trying to submit via an authentication connection to
port 25, yes I would expect that to break quite frequently. I'd consider
that to be a misconfiguration. You should use port 587. And if the
server isn't listening on port 587 then *it* is misconfigured.

> Verizon certainly does block SMTP.

Surely they don't block port 587?

>  Hot-spotting through a phone generally stinks,  they do not really
> provide you an ISP-like connection, it is more of an ISP-lite
> connection.  ["lite" being a synonym for "crappy"].

Well, you don't get a proper IP address (neither IPv6 nor even Legacy
IP) so you're afflicted by NAT¹, but that's fairly much the same as with
many of the crappy home ISPs that people use, surely?

Hi!

        I had it on 467,  I've changed it ot 587 to see if it works.

Cheers,
Lailah