Re: [Evolution] Connection Confusion

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 11:41 -0200, Lailah wrote:
El lun, 12-12-2011 a las 09:32 -0500, Terry A. Haimann escribiÃ:
I am using Evolution on a Mint laptop.  Generally it works fine.  But
occasionally I have no wireless signal available and therefore I use my
Droid phone as a modem.  I can do everything but ping while connected
using this method.  Evolution will not send or receive when I am
connected this way since it doesn't think there is a valid connection.
It happens to me too but with wi-fi connection.  If I close Evolution
and open it again y it works, but I can't write a message and send it
because it tells me that it is not connected in despite the fact that
IT IS connected and receiving mails.
I am on Evolution 3.6, Mate Desktop, Fedora 18.
Is weird...

That doesn't sound that weird.  *Sending* and *Receiving* are two
entirely different operations.  Receiving is POP/IMAP [and rarely
blocked by firewalls], sending is SMTP [and almost always blocked by
firewalls].

I believe if you run Evolution as "evolution --force-online" then
Evolution will 'ignore' the network state provided by the NetworkManager
session service and just 'assume' that it has a network connection.

If you run "evolution --help" you can see the various run options.

Verizon certainly does block SMTP.  Hot-spotting through a phone
generally stinks,  they do not really provide you an ISP-like
connection, it is more of an ISP-lite connection.  ["lite" being a
synonym for "crappy"].
--
Adam Tauno Williams
System Administrator, OpenGroupware Developer, LPI / CNA