Re: [Evolution] Connection Confusion

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 06:16 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
That doesn't sound that weird.  *Sending* and *Receiving* are two
entirely different operations.  Receiving is POP/IMAP [and rarely
blocked by firewalls], sending is SMTP [and almost always blocked by
firewalls].

Sending should be MSA, which is like SMTP except on port 587. And is
rarely blocked by firewalls. That's kind of why the MSA port was
introduced. In 1998.

If you're actually trying to submit via an authentication connection to
port 25, yes I would expect that to break quite frequently. I'd consider
that to be a misconfiguration. You should use port 587. And if the
server isn't listening on port 587 then *it* is misconfigured.

Verizon certainly does block SMTP.

Surely they don't block port 587?

 Hot-spotting through a phone generally stinks,  they do not really
provide you an ISP-like connection, it is more of an ISP-lite
connection.  ["lite" being a synonym for "crappy"].

Well, you don't get a proper IP address (neither IPv6 nor even Legacy
IP) so you're afflicted by NATÂ, but that's fairly much the same as with
many of the crappy home ISPs that people use, surely?

--
dwmw2

 Except with my Android phone, which seems to have stopped doing NAT.
Instead it just routes packets from its internal networks (the USB and
wifi tethering clients) out the 3G interface without NAT. Which doesn't
work at all :)