Re: [Evolution] downloads page

Von: "Alberto Ruiz" <aruiz redhat com>

In the meantime, even if less than ideal, we have to cope with the fact
that it's distros who distribute Evolution.

That actually _is_ the ideal way.

Someone writes a nice programme. Someone else packages it for their distribution A and again somebody else
for distribution B.

Instead of running around the internet and chasing multiple download pages you do a simple central update
with the for your distribution typical tools to get a new version.

Occasionally a distribution will hang behind, occasionally a distribution will ignore a new release and very
occasionally a distribution will make a conscious choice of not implementing an update. A user can then
either choose to live with these facts, change distribution or (if they are technically able) create their
own updated version from sources.

My current main laptop has 2500 programme packages installed. I would think this is fairly norm. For the vast
majority (2498 packages to be exact) I am not in the slightest interested to have the most bang up to date
version. For the two remaining ones - I am a contributing developer, so I compile them from source.

Unless you produce something very special or something in closed source, you would be a fool to replicate
half heartedly and half arsedly the often considerably well thought through infrastructure of a major
distribution.

And unless you are desperately waiting for a brand new feature/bug fix from a specific package there is no
reason whatsoever not to wait for your own distribution to update itself. Which it will do at some point.
Painlessly and unnoticably, usually.

Peter