[Evolution] Read messages not marked as unread

I'm using Evolution 3.4.4 on openSUSE 12.2 and have linked it to my
Gmail account with Gnome Online Accounts (so it's an IMAP account).
Often, some messages are not marked as read on the server, and so show
up as unread every time I open Evolution. When I read the messages in
Evolution, Evolution marks them as read, but they become unread again
the next time I open Evolution. Eventually the messages do become marked
as read permanently (after a few hours), but it's really annoying before
then.

I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as to when this occurs and
when it doesn't. I guess it could be a Google problem too, but that
seems unlikely :-) so I suspect Evolution just decides not to actually
tell the server to mark the messages as read for some reason.

Any ideas; does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,

Michael Catanzaro

P.S. I've got a parallel issue where anything I filter by mailing list
is incorrectly marked as read, which is fixed by adding the "unset
status -> read" action to the filter. Doesn't bother me because of the
workaround but I thought I should mention it.