Re: [Evolution] Improve commit messages in Git repository

On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 08:01 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
the commit logs used to be just bug numbers. That was changed to include
also bug summary, after a suggestion for better understanding what the
bug is about, because alone bug number is basically useless. That is all
fine. Adding also kind of description what the commit is intended to fix
in some level of detail is not something I can promise I will do. It
seem to me like an unnecessary paper-work, which I do not like.

Write your commit message in a style that lets you copy & paste it to
the bug report? That's what most people do I'd say.

Consider this: I committed a fix for a bug. Few days later was filled a
regression bug which I caused by the commit. Thus I made consequent
commit(s) to fix the regression and to keep the initial bug fixed. Where
do I write this?

In the commit message: "Fix regression from commit 123abc".

Of course to bugzilla, I cannot edit old commit messages.

You don't have to.
And you cannot edit old Bugzilla comments either.

andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper