Re: [Evolution] Improve commit messages in Git repository

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 13:14 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 18:18 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
The reason is that I'm not going to spend double time on writing commit
comments, especially if the commit is dedicated to the bug report, where
I usually try to explain the cause of the issue and what the patch
fixes, if it looks non-obvious.

I somewhat agree with Paul here.

The commit log in our version control system -- whether that's CVS,
Subversion, Git, or whatever comes next -- represents the canonical
history of Evolution's development.  It dates all the way back to
January 12, 1998 and tells the story up to today.

        Hi,
the commit logs used to be just bug numbers. That was changed to include
also bug summary, after a suggestion for better understanding what the
bug is about, because alone bug number is basically useless. That is all
fine. Adding also kind of description what the commit is intended to fix
in some level of detail is not something I can promise I will do. It
seem to me like an unnecessary paper-work, which I do not like.

Consider this: I committed a fix for a bug. Few days later was filled a
regression bug which I caused by the commit. Thus I made consequent
commit(s) to fix the regression and to keep the initial bug fixed. Where
do I write this? Of course to bugzilla, I cannot edit old commit
messages.

I also do not agree that bugzilla is a tool which is used "once and
never again".
        My opinion,
        Milan