Re: [Evolution] Avoiding automatic marking as read

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 09:41 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 23:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 22:13 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
Perhaps a comment along the lines of "For other options use 'gsettings'
from the Shell" would at least give a hint.
I never understood the need to remove those options, I also noticed
multiple users asking for them, especially because those all are common
options, which each sane mail client should have accessible in UI, not
through "registry" (would you imagine any commercial application asking
users to open "registry" to tweak such fundamental settings?).
That said, I do not agree with "space saving",

It makes perfect sense.  Especially with more users actually choosing
[for some bizarre completely incomprehensible reason;  probably just
because it is "cool"] to use devices with smaller displays and
[hopelessly] inferior input methods.  It is just something application
have to adapt to.

And I've watched end users confronted with massive and complex
preference and configuration dialogs - it *DOES* turn them off / away.
The reaction is frequently almost visceral.  Creating the sense "Wow,
that is so complicated" is *** BAD *** *** BAD *** *** BAD ***.

the cost of it is too
high, too hard configurability, which is the thing I used to like on
Gnome (the current trend makes configurability harder and harder,
sadly).

Oh, get over it.  You as a power user have gsettings [and gconf-editor /
dconf-editor], and you have wrappers around like gnome-tweak-tool.
Configurability did not and will not go aware; there is no resistance to
configurability,  there is just a resistance to byzantine dialogs with
numerous tabs, and sub-tabs, and sub-dialogs, with tabs, and sub-tabs...

I'll admit having an "Advanced..." button hidden somewhere in the
configuration dialog would be nice - but someone would have to write and
maintain that code.  Perhaps options could be provided via a Plugin?
But I don't know if it is possible to develop a plugin in anything other
than C.  There was talk about Mono/C# plugins, but nobody has touched
that in years.   I haven't found an example of a plugin in Python - I'd
be all over that.