Re: [Evolution] convert to Maildir or IMAP from evolution's "offline backup"

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 09:10 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
well, it is and it is not. The ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/...
uses MailDir, but the IMAP (not IMAP+) account in evolution doesn't
use MailDir, neither mbox format, it has its own cache format,

Oops, sorry. You're right. In fact for IMAP+ it's not *quite* Maildir
either. It is one message per file and it's very similar to Maildir, but
the read/replied/etc flags are not encoded in the filename as they are
in Maildir, so just copying it out would probably lose that information.

Using Evolution in offline mode to copy the messages out of its local
cache and into something else, as you suggest, seems like the best
approach.

I'm not sure I'd rename the directory at all (although I might take a
backup of the whole thing right now just in case). Just run evolution
--offline, copy it all to local folders, then go online (and watch
Evolution *delete* the messages from its local IMAP cache when it
realises the server no longer has them), and copy them back to the
server from the local folders.

--
dwmw2