Re: [Evolution] Trash folder oddities/andre

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 08:16 -0700, Brewster Gillett wrote:

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 19:04 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-error-folder-mismatch.html.en
Brewster Gillett wrote:
Doesn't work. Couple of things; (1) I haven't been getting any messages
citing "error storage" or "summary and folder mismatch"

Have you identified which disk folder corresponds to the trash folder?

... I have a hunch that part of the problem may be that my older version
(2.28.3, which I also identified in my original query) does not have
some of the more detailed error messaging found in later versions.

Some old versions had problems with very large local mailboxes.

ASIDE:
I know, the conventional wisdom says I should be upgrading more
frequently. But I read these lists in order to gain a sense of what
later versions are like, and I see a lot of complaints and problems with
each new release - it tends to make me prefer to stick with the devil I
know rather than introduce a whole new set of problems :-)

Of course forums and mailing lists have a powerful negative bias;
people typically only post when something appears broken,  everyone for
whom it works well remains silent.  This is the very sad truth about the
Internet as a whole.

I would unequivocally advise you to upgrade.  The current versions are
much improved over the Evolution of a couple of years ago.  No doubt,
hands down.

Most of the issues I see on this list are very much self-inflicted
[using bizarre|insane|whacka-mole|incompetent backup/restore methods
seems to be a common issue].

If I have to upgrade in  order to move past some of these issues, I
suppose I will - what, in your view, is the most stable and least
buggy latest version of Evo that I should try?

Try before you buy.  Backup your data [File -> Backup...], take it to a
machine [or virtual machine] with a current version, restore your data
[File -> Restore...].  See what happens.  That is certainly what I do -
I need stuff to work.  I do that even though my luck has been very good.
If your information is important you should treat it that way.