Re: [Evolution] FAQ vs User Docs [was: reanimation of backup]

See my response below:

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 09:57 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 14:42 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> I'm the one to blame as I added this. IMO anything that helps the user
> should be in one central place - in the user docs. I don't consider the
> user docs a "reference manual" (not sure what that term means).
> And I welcome patches. :)
>
> The problem might be where to make the cut - what is still a
> *frequently* asked question and what it isn't.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit?

The problem with the FAQ is it gets increasingly difficult to keep it
accurate across numerous Evolution releases, whereas the user docs for
version 3.2 address the way things work in version 3.2, etc.

On the other hand, the generated HTML pages [1] could really use a table
of contents.  I do still find the FAQ easier to search, though.  There's
something to be said for having all the answers on one page.

It's a trade-off.  I personally love the new user docs.  Andre has done
a fabulous job with it, continues to improve it, and is very responsive
to bug reports.  But there's room for improvement in how it's presented
on the web.

May I make a suggestion? Keep the FAQ, but when it becomes difficult to answer a particular question in a version neutral way add a link to the FAQ that references the appropriate version of the User Doc.

I find the Evolution FAQ a nice place to find an answer quickly. I am 10 times more likely to read the FAQ than I am the Evolution User Doc. It is not that the User Doc is poorly written or anything. The User Docs meander through a set of topics that are of little interest to me and the search capabilities of most User Docs are poor. The end result you can't get "your answer" as nearly as fast by using the User Doc by itself.

Also the FAQ seems to have a higher visibility from the search engines. This is likely the primary reason why I am 10 times more likely to visit the FAQ.

Thank you,
Rob
Matthew Barnes

[1] http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/