Re: [Evolution] Moving from evolution to evolution

On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 11:41 -0500, dbrenner wrote:
On Sun, 2012-07-01 at 08:19 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
I'm still a little confused as to why so many users seem to feel the
need to backup and restore their personal data just to upgrade their
operating system in place.  Backing up of course is a prudent safety
measure, but if the upgrade goes smoothly there should be no need to
restore the backup.

Are there actually distro installers that don't allow you to upgrade
without nuking your home directory, or do some installers not make
that
option clear enough, or am I just misunderstanding the problem?

Matthew,
I am a Fedora user. Some people, including me, choose to do a fresh
install instead of an upgrade in place. I do this every 2 or 3 releases
just to clean out the old release remnants that invariably get left on
the system, including dot directories in my home directory.

Neither Fedora upgrade nor Fedora install touch anything in your home
directory, unless you actually reformat the partition. If you mean you
backup your $HOME and restore the active data, omitting the dot files,
you can of course do that without installing or upgrading anything. Or
just remove the dot files, log out and log in.

poc