[Evolution] Turn Message Preview off for all folders in Evo 3.2.x ?

Is there a way to turn Message Preview/the Preview Pane off by default
in Evo 3.2.2 ?

I tried the gconftool-2 command from:
http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Evolution_always_crashes_when_I_start_it.2C_what_can_I_do.3F
(although I know that this FAQ is out of date, and a kitten dies every
time we link to it). Using gconf-editor I looked at the same place
( /apps/evolution/mail/display/show_preview ) and made sure it was
unchecked. However, when I try a new folder I haven't looked at in
years, it shows a preview window.

Also couldn't see this in the new docs, at
http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.2/mail-layout-changing.html.en (which seems like the logical place
for this), and could not see a setting under Edit -> Preferences -> Mail preferences.

Also I have customised the "Messages" view as per
http://osdir.com/ml/evolution-list/2010-04/msg00026.html , using a
folder with preview off, in the hope that it would then turn off Message
Preview globally, but it looks like Message Preview is stored
independent, unfortunately. (To me whether the preview is on or not
forms a integral part of the folder view).

-- All the best,
Nick.