Re: [Evolution] Notes on Data migration Evolution 2.24.5 to 3.4.3

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 08:47 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 12:06 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
Finally, I would just point out that the best way of maintaining email
for use on multiple systems and that is fairly impervious to changes
in version is to keep your mail on a server and access it using IMAP -
that way you don't have to worry about moving data and if the upgrade
procedure doesn't work, all you will ever have to do is to re-enter
the account configuration.

+1. In fact since Evo has supported IMAP since the beginning, a
migration strategy for widely separated versions is to move the old mail
onto an IMAP server, switch Evo versions, then just access it with the
new one (or download it again if you really must). Pity this isn't so
easy for contacts, tasks, filters etc.

poc

Again this is not a practical way for me to have solved my problem.
I was forced into the situation by having a dying machine.
I believed I had minimal time once my system started to fail until it
was gone.

In the long run an IMAP server is not really a good solution for I have
a less than perfect/good ISP.  I still need to access mail that arrived
both distant past and recent past.  Neither happen if either ISP net or
ISP's imap server go down.  Obviously, I am not using my Linux system in
an office building with a real IT team.

Perhaps if I had 25 years ago had started with a system like IMAP, I
would not have gotten used to using a mail system that loads mail
messages into my local space.   Isn't hind sight perfect.

Another feature that IMAP presents could be support of multiple systems.
And again I don't have a real multiple systems usage.  I have 2 laptops
one old, one new.  Old one is dying. IE I am headed to having one
laptop.

Also I am using Evolution for mail use only and don't really care about
calender, contacts etc.