Re: [Evolution] No echo on typing; Slow start

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 17:04 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 14:32 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> (No echo) Frequently evolution does not echo what I type into it, either
> header or text; this can usually be fixed by quitting evolution and
> restarting it.  Occasionally, it "stutters"; that is echo stops while
> I'm entering text, then resumes after a while, showing text that was
> typed in while echoing was off.

I remember something similar a few releases back, but not recently. Try
checking the list archives.

> (Slow start) Clicking on an email link in Firefox there is a perceptible
> pause (5 or 10 seconds) before evolution pops up its composition window.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?
>
> System:
>
>         Evolution-3.2.3
>         Fedora-16 with all updates
>         KDE-4.8.1
>         AMD x86_64 1-processor hardware.

No such issues here on a very similar setup (Intel Core 2 Duo but I
doubt that's the problem). Could you be checking something remotely,
e.g. an LDAP server?
A couple of more things: I can provoke "no echo" behavior reliably by starting to compose a message in "HTML" mode and then switching to "Plain Text".  In fact, simply clicking on the "HTML/Plain Text" dropdown menu without changing mode can cause this.  While evolution is in a "no echo" state, it responds to mouse clicks OK, but to nothing from the keyboard.

Evolution was started from a console, and has reported no errors (a very unusual situation).

Any ideas on how to debug?  The situation is do bad that I may have to switch mail readers on short notice.

jon