[Evolution] No echo on typing; Slow start

(No echo) Frequently evolution does not echo what I type into it, either header or text; this can usually be fixed by quitting evolution and restarting it.  Occasionally, it "stutters"; that is echo stops while I'm entering text, then resumes after a while, showing text that was typed in while echoing was off.

(Slow start) Clicking on an email link in Firefox there is a perceptible pause (5 or 10 seconds) before evolution pops up its composition window.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

System:
Evolution-3.2.3
Fedora-16 with all updates