Re: [Evolution] No echo on typing; Slow start

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 13:31 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 17:04 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 14:32 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> (No echo) Frequently evolution does not echo what I type into it, either
> header or text; this can usually be fixed by quitting evolution and
> restarting it.  Occasionally, it "stutters"; that is echo stops while
> I'm entering text, then resumes after a while, showing text that was
> typed in while echoing was off.

I remember something similar a few releases back, but not recently. Try
checking the list archives.

> (Slow start) Clicking on an email link in Firefox there is a perceptible
> pause (5 or 10 seconds) before evolution pops up its composition window.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?
>
> System:
>
>         Evolution-3.2.3
>         Fedora-16 with all updates
>         KDE-4.8.1
>         AMD x86_64 1-processor hardware.

No such issues here on a very similar setup (Intel Core 2 Duo but I
doubt that's the problem). Could you be checking something remotely,
e.g. an LDAP server?
A couple of more things: I can provoke "no echo" behavior reliably by starting to compose a message in "HTML" mode and then switching to "Plain Text".  In fact, simply clicking on the "HTML/Plain Text" dropdown menu without changing mode can cause this.  While evolution is in a "no echo" state, it responds to mouse clicks OK, but to nothing from the keyboard.

Evolution was started from a console, and has reported no errors (a very unusual situation).

Any ideas on how to debug?  The situation is do bad that I may have to switch mail readers on short notice.
A little more info: I'm now getting large numbers of errors reading:
    (evolution:7706): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_remove: assertion `GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed
Also clicking on almost any pulldown or entry box seems to cause trouble, either troubles using the keyboard
or complete evolution lockup (no access from keyboard or mouse).