Re: [Evolution] Problem with update

Am Mittwoch, den 21.09.2011, 18:40 +0200 schrieb Thomas Mittelstaedt:
Am Montag, den 19.09.2011, 22:05 -0700 schrieb Jeffrey Needle:
I am running Linux Mint 9.0.  I've downloaded Evolution using the
Software Manager in Mint. It installs Evolution 2.30.3.  I want to
upgrade to 3.x, whatever is the latest stable release.

The Upgrade Manager doesn't upgrade Evolution, as I thought it might.
How can I upgrade my Evolution install so I have the latest stable
version?  I know I can download the tar files from the website, but I
don't have any idea what to do from there.

Thanks.

You could set up a virtual machine on your Mint 9 box and install Fedora
15 on it. It has the latest stable release (+ bug fixes) of evolution,
3.0.3, on it.

Looking at http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_whatsnew.php, "What's new in
Linux Mint 9 Isadora?", I can see, it's based on ubuntu 10.04 with a
relatively current kernel (2.6.32), which should have a recent kvm on
it.
So, I'd recommend to you to follow instructions at
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/HOWTO1 to set up the vm. Download the
fedora 15 iso from
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Live/i686/Fedora-15-i686-Live-Desktop.iso.
After installation of fedora 15, don't forget to do a Software update
with their update manager. That should give you the latest evolution
3.0.3.

Hope that helps.

--
thomas