[Evolution] Problem with update

I am running Linux Mint 9.0.  I've downloaded Evolution using the
Software Manager in Mint. It installs Evolution 2.30.3.  I want to
upgrade to 3.x, whatever is the latest stable release.

The Upgrade Manager doesn't upgrade Evolution, as I thought it might.
How can I upgrade my Evolution install so I have the latest stable
version?  I know I can download the tar files from the website, but I
don't have any idea what to do from there.

Thanks.