Re: [Evolution] Evolution calendar dreadfully slow

Quoting "carpetnailz researchintegration org" <carpetnailz researchintegration org>:
Correction: 'for when I need to check old appointments'...
Evolution hung for me at one point and I tried to shut it down. But each
time I tried to end the e-calendar-factory, it seemed to spawn a new
process. Maybe that's what's supposed to happen?
Anyway, I rebooted my Fedora 15 box. It seems that both the
e-calendar-factory and the e-addressbook-factory start at startup.

They probably start when you login; so if you have auto-login enabled, then they appear to start at startup.

what seems strange is that the e-calendar-factory, right at startup and
before I start Evolution, is using 83.5 MiB of memory. That seems very
strange. Even if it has to put my entire calendar.ics into memory,
that's only 6.2 MB.

Deserialized data is often much 'larger' than it is serialized form. There is also probably lots of state and other misc stuff.

But when you say "using 83.5 MiB of memory" what do you mean? UNIX memory usage numbers are very very very commonly misunderstood. Whether you are 32 or 64 bit matters for that number too.

My e-calendar-factory uses ~327MiB of *virtual* memory, 30MiB resident, and 6MiB shared.