[Evolution] Evo 3.0.2 won't download mail

I have been an Evo user since the very early days of "Red Carpet"
downloads when it was still Zimian and have become fully conversant with
all of it foibles over the years.  I note that the app now uses Maildir
and that's good even though the conversion from mbox to Maildir was
incomplete.  I was able to fix that by copying missing mail to
respective folders from the old mbox folders.

With this version, there are a couple of further difficulties such as
continuing to collect duplicates of mail (for various reasons I leave
mail on the server) and the fact that it only receives mail when it is
opened initially and not after that.  Even when invoking "get mail"
manually, nothing downloads.  To get new mail, I have to shut down and
restart Evolution.  I have tried every conceivable setting combination
over a period of 3 days to no avail.  I have cured the duplicate problem
by clicking on the storage path for "sent" and "drafts" in the account
defaults area and resetting them to the same as the default.  Go
figure!!

I note that others have published the same problems elsewhere on the web
but this version is so new that no-one has published fixes or work
arounds.  Does anyone have a solution for the failure to collect mail
automatically of manually after it has been started?  This is my one
remaining and very annoying problem.  Others who have reported the
problem have been running Ubuntu and Gnome3

I am running KDE4 and Fedora 15 64 bit.

Thanks in advance,

Rick